ARRANGEMENT - 40 Points
- Introduction (10 Points): The ability of the arranger to compose an appropriate introduction for the prepared calypso piece.
- Re-Harmonization (10 Points): The ability of the arranger to re-harmonize the prepared calypso piece. After the original harmonic statement has been made, the re-harmonization could he applied to the remainder of the arrangement or could be limited to one specific section.
- Melodic Development (10 Points): The ability of the arranger to embellish/solo on and utilize rhythmic variations of the melody.
- Motivic Development (10 Points): The ability of the arranger to take a melodic motif(s) of the calypso and effectively utilize it (them) during the arrangement.
GENERAL PERFORMANCE - 35 Points
- Interpretation (10 Points): The ability of the arranger to take the calypso and suitably adapt the piece for the arrangement. This includes initial appropriate melodic and harmonic statements of the calypso and development of the arrangement to climatic points.
- Dynamics (10 Points): The effective use of crescendos, contrast, phrasing and other musical expressions in the arrangement.
- Creativity (5 Points): The overall use of the arranger’s coupling of ideas to produce an effective arrangement. This includes the way the performance transmits the mood of the calypso.
- Balance (10 Points): The ability of the arranger to effectively use the instruments of the steel band in the arrangement so that any section with a prominent role during the arrangement projects well.
TONE - 10 Points
- Blending of Pans (10 Points): Blending is the overall tone/colour of the pans, including the consistency of the tuning within the steel band.
RHYTHM - 10 Points
- Consistency (5 Points): The ability of the entire steel band to maintain a steady rhythmic flow throughout the performance.
- Application of Rhythm Section (5 Points): The ability of the arranger to effectively utilize the drum set, iron beaters and applicable percussion instruments during the performance.
PRESENTATION - 5 Points
- Dress (2.5 Points) Do the players look uniform?
- Carnival Spirit (2.5 Points) Do the players appear comfortable with the chosen piece?