Calypso Monarch Criteria
LYRICS Theme Expression Content Quality
- Does the Calypso have a distinct recognizable theme?
- How well do the words develop and support the theme?
- Do the verses flow /develop with the chorus to reinforce the theme and meaning of the song?
- Appropriateness of choice of works.
- Use of satire, subtlety, double entendre, irony, wit, humor, puns, play on words.
- Quality of rhyme.
- Do the words compliment each other smoothly and comfortably? Is the song over-crowded with the singer having to rush words to get them in?
- How smoothly do the lyrics flow’ along with the arrangement?
- Unusually interesting interpretation of the topic or the effective incorporation of local colour / experiences into the calypso.
- Strength and party appeal of the song. Melody of the verses, sung chorus and band chorus.
- Does the tune carry the message effectively? Is it married to the lyrics in terms of its meter?
- Does it capture the mood of the theme?
- Does it suit the mood and tempo?
- Are particular instruments/sounds used to specially create and convey mood?
- Does the arrangement compliment the rendition?
- Do the back-up vocals compliment and enhance the arrangement?
- Are the melody and arrangement original?
- Are pieces of other people’s music included?
- Are there novel musical ideas in the arrangement or melody?
- Is there any successful incorporation of unusual musical instruments or combination of instruments?
- Does the singer use his/her voice to effectively interpret the song?
- Is the singer in the proper key? Is the manner of singing in keeping with the mood of the song?
- Is the diction clear and understandable?
- The use of body, body language/hands, facial expression. Use of dress.
- The use of the stage.
- The use of the microphone.
- Are these being used to more effectively communicate the song and to improve the understanding of its lyrics?
- This includes the use of props, stagehands, and dancers.
- Are the other symbols of communication assisting or interfering with the presentation of song?
- Are they original symbols?